Parents and Carers
Welcome to the Parents and Carers oral health page.
Please see below useful tips on how to care for your childrenís teeth. Please visit our Upcoming Events page to find out when the next oral health event that you are free to join is running in your borough.
Top tips for 0-6 years
- Brush teeth as soon as they appear in the mouth
- Brush teeth twice a day, last thing at night time is the most important
- Use a smear of tooth paste containing 1,000 parts per million (ppm) for under 3 years
- Use a pea size amount of tooth paste for children between 3 -6 years , containing more than 1,000ppm fluoride
- The fluoride content in tooth paste can be found under the ingredients list of the tooth paste
- Introduce an open or free flow cup at the age of 6 months
- Encourage to spit tooth paste out, but donít rinse
- Supervise tooth brushing until at least the age of 7 years
- Reduce daily sugar in take and keep all sugary food and drink to mealtimes only
- Visit the dentist on regular basis