SHTI - Parents - Top Image

My child has head lice

Head lice is very common problem but it is very treatable. The best method is wet combing over a period of time combined with a special shampoo or lotion. All medications and shampoos can be brought over the counter from your local pharmacy. You will need to treat the whole family and repeat the process again as instructed on the treatment bottle.
To read more information, click here.
For more advice you can contact your school nurse or local pharmacy

Is my child too ill for school?

It can be tricky to decide whether or not to keep your child of school when they are unwell but the guidance states that they should only be off school if:
  • They have an infectious illness which could spread to other people like flu, chickenpox or measles
  • They are so unwell they really could not cope with lessons
  • To help avoid unnecessary school absences please take a look at our leaflet or visit the NHS website:
If you do keep your child at home, it's important to phone the school or nursery on the first day. Let them know that they won't be in and give them the reason.

My child still wets the bed

Reassure your child how common bedwetting is at their age and that itís not their fault. Make sure that your child is washed before school and the bedding cleaned to avoid embarrassment.
It is generally accepted that some children don't wake up and then wet themselves because they donít pick up the bladderís signal that it needs to empty, rather than because they're in a deep sleep. In fact, recent research has indicated that children who wet the bed have poor sleep quality with many incomplete arousals.  You can contact you GP or your childís school nurse for more advice.
For more information on bed wetting see links below:

I am concerned that my child is struggling with their emotions/mental health

You're not alone. There is a difference between feeling a bit low from time to time, not wanting to talk and a serious emotional health problem. If your child is feeling unhappy and low for a prolonged period of time, it's time to seek more professional help.
You can help by finding ways to maintain the lines of communication with your child encouraging them to talk to you or another trusted adult. Set aside time to talk, make eye contact when talking and listening.
Your childís doctor, school nurse or school pastoral team can advise as to whether specialist support is needed; and if they think CAMHS is the right service to provide this, they will arrange a referral Ė please ask your school nurse or GP.
Find more information below:

How can I support my child to stay healthy?

It a good thing to teach your child healthy habits, establishing a good sleep routine will enable your child to learn better in school,  keep your child active take them to the park to enjoy activities or teach them to ride a bike.  Healthy snack is a great way to reduce long term health problems, fruit and vegetables are always the best choice. Too many sugary drinks can cause dental decay.  Always keep communication open with your child.

For more information on activities see below:

Islington activity directory

I don't think my child has completed their vaccinations

Although the school health team no longer give vaccines, if you think your child has a missing vaccination you can contact your GP practice or you can seek advice from the school health team. Please check your childís red book to help you to identify any missing vaccinations.
Page last updated: 21 Aug 2019
Working on it!