Meet the team
Who are we?
Our team consists of a multidisciplinary team of consultants, specialist nurses, specialist dietitians and health care assistants. We are supported too by friendly administrators who help us arrange your appointments.
We also work closely with psychology services, podiatry services and district nursing teams to provide holistic care for local people with diabetes.
We also provide structured group education for people newly diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes or for those looking for a refresher on new information for improving their diabetes management.
The IDSS works closely with support from Diabetes Consultants based both at Whittington Health and UCLH. Through regular team meetings with consultants we discuss individual patientsí care to ensure patient safety and that each plan meets our patientsí individual needs.
Currently we are supported by;
- Dr. Maria Barnard Lead Consultant Physician in Diabetes
- Dr. Michela Rossi Lead Consultant Physician in Endocrinology
- Dr. Karen Anthony Consultant Physician in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dr. Sarita Naik Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology (UCLH)
Diabetes Specialist Nurses (DSN)
The DSNs aim to empower patients to self-manage their diabetes. They are supported by our Health Care Assistants. The DSNs working in IDSS are autonomous professionals and are able to alter your medication prescription as part your diabetes management plan.
They provide education, advice and support to: -
- Professional and non-professional staff caring for people with diabetes
- People with diabetes. This is an individualised service designed to meet their personal and clinical needs
- Patients families, carers and health professionals
- For crisis management i.e. illness, hypoglycaemia, newly diagnosed diabetes, foot ulcers
- During periods of change of treatment
- During the process of improving overall control
- On equipment used in the administering of Insulin
You may also meet DSNs delivering group education to people for with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Belen Plaza Diabetes Clinical Lead Nurse for IDSS
- Miriam Conway (Haringey)
- Nomalisa Mafu (Haringey)
- Rachel Mungosa (Haringey)
- Merielle Isalu (Haringey)
- Lydia Chinyerere (Islington)
- Denise Van Rensburg (Islington)
Diabetes Specialist Dietitians (DSD)
The Diabetes Specialist Dietitians are an integral member of the multi-disciplinary team. Over the years the role of the DSD has evolved hugely. Previously the dietetic input was based around helping people to manage diabetes through their diet alone, however nowadays much more of a holistic approach is employed. Individuals are encouraged to develop skills on how to manage their diabetes taking into account their individual lifestyle and medications, which the DSD can help to facilitate. As well as supporting you 1:1 alongside DSN advice, you may also meet DSDs delivering group education to people for with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Darren Marsh Specialist Dietitian & Operational Lead for IDSS
- Sri Edupuganti (Haringey)
- Ginny Eastwood (Islington)
Health Care Assistants (HCA)
As part of your first appointment with the IDSS you will meet the HCA at your pre-assessment appointment. Depending on how recent you had your diabetes blood test the HCA may need to take blood. You will not need to fast for this test. They will also check your blood pressure, weight and teach you how to use a glucometer. To find out more about checking your blood glucose at home see useful advice and videos section.
- Vic Panlilio
- James Doyle
The IDSS is supported by friendly administrators who can help arrange your appointments with the HCA, DSN or DSD. We are a busy department and we aim to respond to your enquiry within 2 working days. You can contact us by telephone or email us your enquiry email@example.com.
- Jenni Clennon
- Michael Ibikunle
Please note if you are registered with an Islington GP and wish to attend education (DESMOND) please call the central booking team who can arrange this.
Page last updated: 03 Jan 2018