What happens after I have been referred?
On arrival at the clinic, a nurse will take some measurements including your weight, height, neck circumference and blood pressure. You will also fill in an eating habits questionnaire which will be discussed at your next appointment.
You will then be seen by a doctor who will take a full medical history, finding out about your general health and eating habits. The person seeing you will answer any remaining queries which you may have following group education. They will also offer you some guidance over which procedure may suit you the best.
If you don’t attend you rappointments, you may be discharged back to your GP to avoid disappointing other patients who would like to avail the opportunity.
Pre-surgery review appointment
- Funding status
- Reports back from other referrals
- Check weight is not increasing.
If everything is in place, the surgeon will place you on the waiting list.
You will receive a letter inviting you to Group Education on two occasions.
These are 1-2 hour group sessions attended by approximately 12 patients held in the Whittington Education Centre (WEC) behind the Jenner Building or in the N19 meeting room (at the back of the canteen).
The sessions are supported by a PowerPoint presentation and our aim is that people leave with a good understanding of the operations we offer, the benefits and risks, the implications on your life and diet and our pathway leading up to surgery.
There is also ample time allotted for questions.
You cannot progress to the next stage of the assessment without attending Group Education.
Psychology/Eating disorder appointment
• Disordered eating habits, which may prevent you from reaching your full weight loss potential.
• Depression – which may be linked to comfort eating.
• Psychiatric illness for which you may need support prior to being able to undergo surgery.
You will be seen by a psychiatrist at the Whittington Hospital or at the Eating Disorders Unit at St Ann’s Hospital in Tottenham.
Other specialist appointments to assess fitness
Respiratory physicians for:
- Sleep studies – if you are at risk of obstructive sleep apnoea
- Respiratory function – if you have breathing difficulty from lung diseases
- Smoking cessation clinic for smokers
ECHO, ECG, exercise bike test
If you are at risk or have a history of heart problems.
High Risk Anaesthesia Clinic