Speech and Language Therapy (Haringey Children's service)
- Support in identifying speech, language, communication and swallowing needs
- Assessment of speech, language, communication and swallowing
- Targeted intervention for those identified with needs
- Specialist input for those with more complex needs
- An additional ‘Buy-in’ service to local schools
Mastering speech, language and communicate is fundamental to a child’s learning, future happiness, social adjustment, emotional stability and self-esteem. It equips them to achieve and make positive contributions to society.
Working as a team with parents and other professionals ensures maximum effectiveness and best possible outcomes. This often involves us modelling activities and training individuals or staff groups.
Our Ways of Working
Therapy may be delivered in a number of different ways
- Groups with other children working on the same or similar difficulties
- Individual sessions
- Personal programme written and modelled for support staff
- Training of people working with a child
- Class strategies and plans of approach to scaffold learning
Our Places of Work
- Schools (mainstream and special schools)
- Children’s Centres and Nursery’s attached to mainstream schools
- Clinics within Health Centres (Tynemouth Road, Lordship Lane, The Laurels and Hornsey Central)
- Home Visits (when appropriate)
We are a large team consisting of
- Qualified and HCPC registered Speech and Language Therapists
How to Access Our Service
We are an open service with an advice line where a message can be left and a Speech and Language Therapist will then contact you.
I am a parent
- My child is in school or a nursery attached to a school – Speak to school staff who should speak to the SENCo about your concerns. They are able to refer a child to our service.
- My child is under 5 years old and not attending school yet – contact our advice line with your concerns.
Talking Point is the first stop for information on children’s communication
National Literacy Trust – Talk to your baby (bilingual advice sheets)
Afasic helps children and young adults who are affected by the hidden disability of speech, language and communication impairments
British Stammering Association is your first point of contact for impartial information and support on stammering
National Autistic Society is a UK charity for people with autism and their families
Contact a Family provides advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children.
Bliss is the premature baby charity